What are physical and sexual healthcare services?
Physical and sexual healthcare services (also known as Primary Care) can help with health-related topics including physical, mental, and social well-being. In a community setting, Primary Care is often the first source of contact a person has with the health care system and can be delivered by a variety of health professionals such as doctors, psychiatrists and nurse practitioners.
The Foundry Virtual BC team offers physical and sexual healthcare services for young people ages 12-24 across the province who do not have access to a local Foundry centre or doctor in their community. We encourage young people to stay connected to their existing family doctor or nurse practitioner if they have one.
Who can access these services?
- BC young people aged 12-24
When are services available?
Physical and sexual healthcare appointments are offered through audio and video sessions and can be accessed through the Foundry BC app. To access services with one of our Nurse Practitioners, you will need to book in with our Primary Care Social Worker through our “Healthcare Navigation Appointment” option on the Foundry BC app.
To access a referral:
- Download the Foundry BC app and book an appointment (7 days a week)
- Access our virtual drop-in services Tuesday- Thursday from 2:00 pm- 6:00 pm in the Foundry BC App
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 1-833-308-6379
- Please note, at this time we do not offer chat sessions for physical and sexual healthcare appointments.
If you are in a medical emergency or crisis, please call 911 or go to your local emergency department.
What is a Nurse Practitioner?add
Nurse Practitioners support young people with physical and sexual health care (primary care) related concerns such as sexual health testing, substance use challenges, medication management, mental health diagnoses, and specialized health referrals. Nurse Practitioners are experienced registered nurses who receive additional education involving a specialized master’s degree.
How can a Nurse Practitioner help me?add
- Assess, diagnose, and treat mental health, physical conditions, and common illnesses
- Order and interpret medical tests
- Support with substance use challenges
- Prescribe medications
- Refer youth to other medical specialists/programs
- Support and management of gender affirming care
- Support and management for substance use and addiction struggles
What can I expect when working with a Nurse Practitioner?add
- Compassionate, inclusive, and non-judgmental support and care.
- A therapeutic and confidential relationship between Nurse Practitioner and client.
- Individualized care and treatment that focus’ on the needs of the youth.
- Support for your personal health and wellness goals.
- Wrap around care in which young people’s medical care is in collaboration with other Foundry Virtual BC service providers.
How is physical and sexual healthcare offered virtually?add
Most illnesses and conditions that can be seen in a doctor’s office can be supported through our virtual care services. Exceptions to this include the following: Height, weight, acute physical conditions, and emergent psychiatric conditions.
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT - DOWNLOAD THE FOUNDRY BC APP
Download the Foundry BC App
- Download on the Google Play, Apple App Store or the desktop web portal version
- Register for your free account *
- Connect to services: Book a “health navigation intake appointment”
*Please ensure that youth register for a youth account and that caregivers register for a caregivers account.
Supports also available by phone at 1-833-308-6379 or email email@example.com.
Please note the virtual services offered through the Foundry BC app are distinct and separate from our network of Foundry centres. If you have a Foundry centre in your community, please connect with them directly.