What is Primary Care
Primary Care can help with health-related topics including physical, mental, and social well-being. Primary care is often the first source of contact a person has with the health care system and can be delivered by a variety of health professionals such as doctors, psychiatrists and nurse practitioners.
The Foundry Virtual BC team offers primary care services for young people ages 12-24 across the province who do not have access to a local Foundry centre or doctor in their community. We encourage young people to stay connected to their existing family doctor or nurse practitioner if they have one.
Who can access these services?
- BC young people aged 12-24
When are services available?
Primary care appointments are offered through audio and video sessions and can be accessed through the Foundry BC app. To access a Primary Care provider, you will need to speak with a counsellor or peer supporter.
To access a referral:
- Download the Foundry BC app and book an appointment (7 days a week)
- Access our virtual drop-in services Tuesday- Thursday from 2:00 pm- 6:00 pm in the Foundry BC App
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 1-833-308-6379
- Please note, at this time we do not offer chat sessions.
If you are in a medical emergency or crisis, please call 911 or go to your local emergency department.
What is a Nurse Practitioner?add
Nurse Practitioners support young people with primary care-related concerns such as sexual health testing, substance use challenges, medication management, mental health diagnoses, and specialized health referrals. Nurse Practitioners are experienced registered nurses who receive additional education involving a specialized master’s degree.
How can a Nurse Practitioner help me?add
- Assess, diagnose, and treat mental health, physical conditions, and common illnesses
- Order and interpret medical tests
- Support with substance use challenges
- Prescribe medications
- Refer youth to other medical specialists/programs
- Support and management of gender affirming care
- Support and management for substance use and addiction struggles
What can I expect when working with a Nurse Practitioner?add
- Compassionate, inclusive, and non-judgmental support and care.
- A therapeutic and confidential relationship between Nurse Practitioner and client.
- Individualized care and treatment that focus’ on the needs of the youth.
- Support for your personal health and wellness goals.
- Wrap around care in which young people’s medical care is in collaboration with other Foundry Virtual BC service providers.
How is primary care offered virtually?add
Most conditions that can be seen in a doctor’s office can be supported through our virtual care services. Exceptions to this include the following: Height, weight, acute physical conditions, and emergent psychiatric conditions.
Download the Foundry BC App
- Download on the Google Play, Apple App Store or the desktop web portal version
- Register for your free account *
- Connect to services
*Please ensure that youth register for a youth account and that caregivers register for a caregivers account.
Supports also available by phone at 1-833-308-6379 or email email@example.com.
Please note the virtual services offered through the Foundry BC app are distinct and separate from our network of Foundry centres.