Need urgent help? Find support here.

Need urgent help?


If you find yourself in need of immediate help, call Emergency Services – 911.

These are examples of situations that you should seek immediate help:

  • Thinking about ending your life or trying to end your life.
  • Feeling scared because you’re experiencing sensations that aren’t real and/or beliefs that can’t possibly be true.
  • Becoming unable to care for yourself, and it’s putting you at risk of serious harm.
  • Experiencing an alcohol or any other drug overdose.
  • Taking a dangerous combination of substances (like medications and alcohol).

You can also

  • call the crisis line at 1-800-784-2433
  • chat online with Kids Help Phone
  • SMS/Text Kids Help Phone by texting CONNECT to 686868, if you would like to stop the conversation text STOP

For other phone, chat or text support options, visit our Get Support section.

Foundry Virtual Services


We are now offering virtual drop-in counselling sessions, peer support check-ins and group offerings to young people ages 12-24 and their caregivers! Learn more.

Family Doctors and Psychiatrists


Family Doctors

Family doctors can play an important role in supporting you when you are feeling like something is just not right.

Your family doctor can help rule out other medical conditions that can sometimes cause certain behaviours or symptoms. They can also prescribe medication if they think that would be helpful for you.

Your family doctor may refer you to other specialized services, such as a pediatrician, psychiatrist or other specialized mental health services, such as community mental health clinics, hospital clinics, or hospital inpatient programs.

Don’t have a family doctor? You can visit a Foundry Centre or any Walk in Clinic, no appointment is necessary. You can also find a family doctor in your community by visiting the physician directory on the College of Physicians and Surgeons website or calling them at 1-800-461-3008.

Except for a few specialized services, visits to your family doctors are free of charge if you have a BC CareCard or have coverage from another provincial medical services plan.


While family doctors have generalized experience in mental health care, psychiatrists have specialized expertise in mental health. They are able to prescribe medications and offer psychotherapy (for example counselling). In order to see a psychiatrist, you need to get a referral from a family doctor or mental health professional.

The amount and type of counselling psychiatrists provide often depends on the psychiatrist and on the mental illness being treated. Your BC CareCard will cover the cost of your psychiatrist visits.

You can find a psychiatrist in your community by visiting the physician directory on the College of Physicians and Surgeons website or calling them at 1-800-461-3008. On the website under “Practice Type”, select “Specialist” and “Psychiatry”.

Private Counsellors and Psychologists


Private Counsellors have a Masters degree in counselling or social work and can help with a variety of issues including mental health challenges. They will work together with you to find ways to address the challenges you are facing. Through counselling you can discuss your concerns and strengthen your ability to make the changes you want in your life.

Psychologists/Registered Psychologists (RPsych) have a PhD in psychology. Similar to counsellors, they provide an opportunity to talk about and work through things that are confusing or worrying. This can help you to make positive changes in your life.

Counsellors and psychologists in your community can be found by visiting the following sites:

These services are not usually covered by a BC CareCard. Extended health benefits may cover some costs for private counselling. Some counsellors/psychologists will offer a sliding scale which means the amount you are charged is based on your income.

Other places that may offer low-cost or free counselling in your community may include:

  • Foundry Centres
  • Clinics at universities or colleges
  • Youth clinics or family services agencies 

Check out our Community Services map to find free counselling services near you. 

Child and Youth Advocacy Centres


Child and Youth Advocacy Centres (CACs/CYACs) provide a co-ordinated, multidisciplinary approach in a safe, comfortable environment to address the needs of children, youth and their families.