This section provides tips that can help you and your friends to better deal with challenging life events. Supporting your friend to try new strategies can help them to figure out what works for them.
Maintaining mental wellness means finding a balance in all areas of our lives, including physical, social, personal, emotional, work, financial, school and spiritual aspects. Reaching a balance is an ongoing process, and everyone’s own personal balance will be unique.
Getting enough sleep, eating healthy and being active are helpful to everyone’s mental and physical wellness.
Other Ideas for Maintaining Mental Wellness:
- Build confidence. Identify your friend’s abilities and strengths, build on them and encourage your friend to do their best.
- Give compliments. Compliments help us to remember the positives in our lives when times get tough.
- Give and accept support. Support each other through tough times – support your friend and reach out to them when you need support.
- Manage stress. Help your friend to learn what stresses them out and how they can manage it in healthy ways before it overwhelms them. Check out the Tips and Apps & Tools on foundrybc.ca for helpful ways to manage stress.
- Deal with moods. Support your friend to find safe and constructive ways to express negative feelings such as anger or sadness. Sports, writing (keeping a journal), painting, dancing and making crafts, are all good ways to help deal with difficult emotions.
- Practice relaxation together. Check out the Breathr app for simple mindfulness activities or Mindshift app for relaxation exercises.
- Have fun together!
- Encourage your friend to do things they are good at and to have the courage to step outside their comfort zone and try something new.
- Share humour. Take some time to laugh with your friend.
- Be accepting of different body types, sizes and abilities. Challenge beliefs and assumptions about body size and shape (there is no “perfect” body size and shape). Thinness does not lead to success. Focus on what you like about who they are as people.
Helping others to recognize their strengths and feel good about themselves will help you to recognize your own strengths and ways you can promote your own mental wellness.
Want to explore and learn more? Here are a couple options that will help you.