- Make the most of your productivity. When you’re stuck studying for a long period of time, it can take its toll on your productivity and work against you. Don’t forget to take breaks (but not too many!) and there is the recommended Pomodoro Technique to help organize when to take breaks. This helps break down your workload into manageable portions of time!
- Don’t be afraid to reach out. If you don’t understand some of the materials that may be on the exam, reach out to your instructor to schedule additional tutorials or see if they are offering additional office hours. You can also schedule times with friends and tutors who do understand the material to help you.
- Use technology. We’re in that golden age where technology can be used to optimize how we learn and study. Google Docs is a great resource to not only make your own notes, but share them with your study group as well. You can also make and use online flashcards for studying and save on paper. Bonus: Have a shared document that you and your friends can fill in throughout the school year for different subjects. This will save time when you’re gathering notes, and your peers may fill in details that you missed!
- Practice makes perfect. Find or make-up practice questions that you think will be on the exam (often teachers have hinted at these during lessons, or they have topics they spent a lot of time on). You can also sometimes find review questions in your textbook, or use headings in readings or notes and make them into questions. Sometimes, teachers are able to provide past exams to assist with practice.
- Take care of yourself. Through it all, the most important thing during this stressful time is to take care of yourself, both physically and mentally! Take some time in between study sessions for some healthy snacks and physical activity, or to take a moment to relax and breathe. The night before your exam, sleep and get some rest. Otherwise, you might have trouble concentrating and find it harder to remember things.
Studying is something most people don’t enjoy, but you can get through it! Your education is important, and these are only a few ways to make it easier on yourself while keeping up with your self-care. Good luck studying!
Want to explore and learn more? Here are a couple options that will help you.
Back to School: Balancing Wellness with Everything Else
Going back to school this year is going to feel different for a lot of students. It’s important to be kind to yourself and take a step back when things are feeling overwhelming for you. If your feelings are starting to take over your everyday life, reach out and get support whenever you need it. Read on to find resources to help you during the back to school season.Read More
Find out more about Foundry.