All of us also have probably experienced a time when a friend seemed to be struggling. It can be difficult to know if a friend is just dealing with the everyday challenges of life or if it’s something more serious.
People experiencing mental health challenges may show changes in the way they think, feel or behave.
Signs a friend may need some support:
- They don’t seem to enjoy activities as much.
- They seem distracted or are have trouble focusing.
- They’re unusually worried about things that don’t seem to be a big deal to others.
- Their eating habits have changed; they avoid hanging out at lunch or make excuses about not eating.
- They’re always tired or complain they aren’t sleeping well.
- They miss more and more time from school or work.
- They drink and/or use drugs or other substances more.
- They’re often sad and find it hard to see any positives in their life.
- They spend more time alone. They don’t want to hang out with friends or do any of their usual activities.
If you’ve noticed changes in a friend that have been going on for awhile or seem to be getting worse, it’s time to take action. Check out the other sections for tips on how to help a friend through tough times.
Want to explore and learn more?